Frequently Asked Questions
Ohio University is a public university located in Athens, Ohio. Here are some of the more frequently asked questions about Ohio University:
- Where is Athens?
- Athens, Ohio, is located about 75 miles southeast of the state capitol, Columbus. A map is available which shows major highways that lead to Athens. If you need further assistance after viewing the above site, please contact the Visitors Center (740-593-2097). You also may wish to contact the Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau for assistance in reaching Athens (740-592-1819 or 800-878-9767).
- How can I get an application?
- Applications for first-year and transfer students are available from the Office of Admissions. You may contact them by calling 740-593-4100. Applications for graduate students are available through the Office of Graduate Student Services. You may contact them by calling 740-593-2800.
- How can I obtain a transcript?
- To obtain a transcript of your academic record, you can contact the Registrar's Office at 740-593-4206. There is a $5.00 charge per transcript. If you would like to fax your transcript request, please be aware that certain information MUST be included with your request. There is a recorded message at 740-593-4206 that lists the information needed to process your transcript request.
To obtain a financial aid transcript (required for transfer students who apply for aid), contact the financial aid office at the institution you attended previously. If you are
transferring from Ohio University to another institution, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships at 740-593-4141 to request a financial aid transcript.
- Where do I get information about my grades?
- The Registrar's Office (740-593-4191) can answer your questions about obtaining copies of grades you received for coursework completed at Ohio University. Current students also may request that a copy of their grades be sent to their OAK e-mail account by visiting this page.
can I find out dates for university events?
Official Academic Calendar, which is maintained by the Registrar's Office is available. A university calendar of events is accessible at http://www.ohio.edu/calendar/.
- How do I contact the university?
- The number of Ohio University's main switchboard is 740-593-1000. A telephone operator will be able to connect you with any university department you need. The operators are able to answer some questions about the university as well. If they are unable to answer your question, they can connect you with someone who will have an answer for you.
If you wish to contact a member of the Ohio University community, begin by visiting the online university directory. By typing in the name of the faculty or staff member or student, you will pull up their e-mail and campus addresses.
If you would like to send mail to the university, please include the name of the department, Ohio University, building name (if known), Athens, Ohio, 45701-2979.
- How do I apply for scholarships and financial aid?
- The Office of Student Financial Aid and
Scholarships (740-593-4141) can answer your questions about obtaining financial assistance to attend Ohio University.
do I learn about correspondence courses?
- Correspondence coursework is coordinated through the university's Independent Study program. You may contact them by visiting on-line or by calling 740-593-2910 or 800-444-2910.
If you are interested in applying correspondence coursework toward a degree from Ohio University, Adult Learning Services' External Student Program is for you. Visit them online or call 740-593-2150 or 800-444-2420 for further information.
- Where can visitors stay?
- There are several hotels and motels in Athens providing visitor lodging. Here is a partial listing. For further information, please contact the businesses directly at the numbers listed.
- How large is Ohio University?
- 19,962 students attend Ohio University's Athens campus (an additional 490 are enrolled through Lifelong Learning). 8,636 students attend Ohio University's regional campuses. The Athens main campus consists of 200 major buildings on 1,756 acres.
- What is the name and phone number of the bookstore?
- There is no Ohio University bookstore. There are three independently owned and operated bookstores that serve the university community. They are Specialty Books (740-594-4002), the College Bookstore (740-594-3505 or 1-888-286-1804) and Follett's University Bookstore (740-593-5547 or 800-644-6968). All handle textbooks and apparel.
- How can I get information on hiring students?
- If you are interested in hiring full-time employees or filling internships, Career Services (740-593-2909) is the place to start. If you are interested in hiring part-time employees within or near the city of Athens, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
- How can I learn about job opportunities at the university?
- University Human Resources has produced an employment Web page. Accessible at http://www.uhr.ohiou.edu/employment/, it provides a list of the current salaried and hourly positions available at the main campus in Athens, as well as the five regional campuses. You also can call UHR's 24-hour-a-day job information line 740-593-4080.
- Is the student newspaper available online?
- Yes. Ohio University's independent student newspaper, The Post, is accessible at http://thepost.baker.ohiou.edu/.
- How can I locate a fellow alumnus?
- To locate alumni online, you may check the directory at www.ealumni.ohiou.edu/directory. This directory is self-populating, meaning only alumni who choose to have their information available can be found. It does not include information from our main database.
If you wish to check the alumni database, please provide the full name of the person you are trying to locate, their nickname or maiden name, graduation year and college/major. The more information you have, the better your chances of finding the person you're searching for.
When requesting information, please keep in mind the following:
- To protect your privacy, we do not give out information to non-alumni who are not otherwise affiliated with the Alumni Association.
- We are unable to locate individuals by the residence hall they lived in.
- The information we have is only as good as what is provided. Please don't forget to inform us when you move or change your name.
If you have an old friend you would like to locate, or would like to update your address, please contact the Alumni Association at:
Ohio University Alumni Association
Konneker Alumni Center
P.O. Box 428
Athens, OH 45701-0428
Phone: (740) 593-4300
Fax: (740) 593-0970
Front Door | Prospective Students | Current Students | Faculty & Staff | Alumni | Parents
Copyright © Ohio University