41.003: Partial Month's Salary for Salaried Administrative Appointments
|Approved on June 11, 2004||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration and Finance
- This policy governs the payment of partial month salaries to those persons with salaried appointments who begin work on a day other than the first working day a month, or terminate their employment on a day other than the last working day of a month.
- A partial month's salary, for salaried appointments going on or coming off the payroll mid-month is computed from the monthly salary pro-rated on the basis of working days, as detailed below. The fiscal year will be the basis for calculation (i.e., July 1 - June 30).
A. Definition of Working Days
- Working days are Monday through Friday (5 days per week) unless otherwise specified by the department head. Deviations may exist in cases of employees working in a foreign country where that country's working days differ due to their calendar or tradition. Holidays falling on Monday through Friday are considered working days.
B. Calculating Partial Month's Salary
- A partial month's salary is calculated based upon the number of working days that the employee is on the payroll compared to the total number of working days in that particular month. The following examples are calculated on the basis of an annual base salary of $24,000, hence a monthly base salary of $2,000.
- Employee whose first day of work is:
- September 10, 2001
- September, 2001, had 20 working days, 15 of which were on or after September 10, 2001. The employee would be paid for 15 out of the 20 working days: September's salary would be (15/20) x $2,000 = $1,500.00.
- October 23, 2001
- October, 2001, had 23 working days, 7 of which were on or after October 23, 2001. The employee would be paid for 7 out of the 23 working days: October's salary would be (7/23) x $2,000 = $608.70.
- Employee whose last day of work is:
- November 9, 2001
- November, 2001, had 22 working days, 7 of which were on or before November 9, 2001. The employee would be paid for 7 out of the 22 working days: November's salary would be (7/22) x $2,000 = $636.36.
- December 21, 2001
- December, 2001, had 21 working days, 15 of which were on or before December 21, 2001. The employee would be paid for 15 out of the 21 working days: November's salary would be (15/21) x $2,000 = $1,428.57.
Questions regarding the interpretation of this policy should be directed to
the Payroll Department.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Administrative Senate
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University. All Rights Reserved.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/41-003.html) on May 15, 2013.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".